Hi, everybody! My name is Jamie, and I’m a new college grad with a passion for reading. On the Book Hawk, you’ll find book reviews, recommendations, and updates on my latest reads.
Originally, I began this blog as a way to tackle my anxiety about writing. By channeling my love of reading into writing about books and then publishing my thoughts online, I thought I might overcome the fear of turning in my work. Since then, the Book Hawk has evolved into a project for its own sake – for my love of books! If you’re a bibliophile like me, you’ve found your place here.
Enjoy my reviews? Buy Me a Coffee! Thank you for visiting!
- Favorite genres: fantasy, sci-fi, young adult, and nonfiction
- Favorite series: Harry Potter, Grishaverse, The Witchlands, The Stormlight Archive, Throne of Glass, The Lunar Chronicles
- Favorite book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
- Book that I was surprised that I was surprised to enjoy: Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane. This was actually required reading in my senior year of high school. In retrospect, I’m glad it was because it helped me develop a deeper appreciation for books about struggles with racism and socioeconomic inequality.
- Book(s) that I’m ashamed to admit I read voluntarily: The entire Twilight Saga, A Court of Silver Flames
- Favorite TV shows: Avatar: The Last Airbender, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, Merlin (BBC), The Dragon Prince, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, The Good Place, Game of Thrones (minus the second half of Season Eight), Supernatural, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Longmire (seriously, please watch this show)
- Favorite podcasts: My Favorite Murder, The Daily (New York Times), The Rachel Maddow Show, The Bob Cesca Show
- Hogwarts house: Ravenclaw through and through!
- Favorite animals: I love animals in general, but if I had pick favorites I’d choose cats (great and small), wolves, otters, and birds.
- I play the flute (my preciousssss).
- Favorite music genres: hard rock, metal, alternative, and jazz
- Favorite movies: The Harry Potter film series of course, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Hidden Figures, Shrek, and James Cameron’s Avatar
- I do not own the book covers (obviously).
- When I share a link to a vendor, I’m not getting any compensation from that vendor. These links are for your convenience.
- If I’m reviewing a free book, I will disclose whom I obtained the book from.
Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter. — Izaak Walton